IAM User Accounts
The ETH user accounts
come in three different flavors, each with its own restrictions.
A personal ETH user account
is given to all students and all staff members of ETH automatically. The account is valid for the duration of the matriculation or contract.
- The account of students and staff with permanent contract has no end date set. This will be set shortly before the student finishes or staff members quit.
- A personal account can be converted to a guest but not while the contract or matriculation is still valid.
Guest accounts can be created for external collaborators. The guest accounts are valid for up to one year and need to be actively renewed.
It is also possible to convert a personal nethz
into an nethz
guest account when people leave ETH but still need access to resources at ETH.
- Guest accounts cannot have some services such as access to the library or IT shop.
For guests that only need WLAN access for a few days the easiest is to create a day guest
Former D-INFK members
who only need a mail forward from their former @inf
.ethz.ch addresses do not need a full guest account. A mail forward is sufficient and can be self-managed by the owner of the mail address to which the mail is forwarded.
Technical accounts are used for system accounts that are not bound to a person. Valid scenarios include:
- mailbox for an event or a contact mail address
- WLAN / VPN account for a device
- user account for a web site
Technical accounts are bound to the department and can only be created by isginf